Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Take 5 - 10/16/06

My, what questions Tony sparked with me in our last meeting. I am really trying to incorporate his ideas into physical education. I see this working with Sports Medicine and Personal Survival but I don't know how it will look in an activities class. So much of our grade in class is based upon attendance and participation. A student can have poor skills and still get an A in class if his/her participation levels are good. I see this as more of a responsibility grade than anything. Should I make skills worth more points? The problem I see with this is that many "skilled" students don't put forth the effort in participation that they could and in this they actually receive a lower grade. How do I find that happy medium. I don't want to reward natural athleticism if the student can't follow directions or come prepared to class but I want the student who isn't so naturally skilled, who tries hard and improves to have a "successful" grade. I do grade skills - fitness and sport skills- but the points are not equal to what student's earn through attendance and participation. I think our society is split on pushing for everyone winning and noone's feelings getting hurt - no scores in youth soccer games to an unbelievable amount of pressure put on kids to play club soccer at the age of 8!!! Everyone wins and winning is everything.
So, here is my problem or issue: What is more important? Being a responsible student or being a good athlete? Can I find the balance in my grading that will reward both, yet SHOW where each needs improvement? Joan brought up a good point in our last meeting about PASSION. Someone may not have the talent but they have the love for the activity. There must be an answer in balancing the two but where is it?
I will have to experiment a bit with different ideas. I am planning on talking to Tony more about this. I would love to see what other teachers in similar subjects are doing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I don't have any brilliant insights into grading a physical education class. (Note, this is one of the very few areas that I don't have brilliant insights!) But I guess the main question I would ask you is - what is the purpose of each physical education class? What are your goals for students? Or, if you prefer, what are the essential learnings? I think once you answer those questions then it will become much easier to figure out an appropriate assessment/grading scheme.

8:11 PM

 
Blogger bkitch said...

It is interesting to think about the reponsiblity grade controversy in a P.E. class. I never thought of the difference in grading physical skills. If you did grade on proficiency, wouln't you then also be grading on natural athleticism? You bring up many interesting ideas/concerns.

9:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home