Monday, January 29, 2007

1/23/07 Session Blog

The information presented on Tuesday was very helpful. Tracy's overview of the subscription services at Arapahoe was very informative and useful. I wish I had known about these sooner. Maybe something we could do as a voluntary faculty meeting. I can't wait to use these for Personal Survival and Sports Medicine. I am very interested in getting the teen health subscription for Physical Education and I hope it will be something well all use. Thanks, Tracy.
On a side note, I am also looking for an online athletic training text for Sports Medicine. The information changes frequently for injury rehabilitation and evaluations.

I really enjoyed the chapter 5 article on Structuring Learning around Primary Concepts. I learned a few years ago how to discuss "big picture" and breaking it down into little pieces. I learned from Cara S. - in volleyball she would show the skill and then break it down into little parts that were easy for the players to understand. She also explained why the skill was important and where it was used. I use this in my classes all of the time now.
My group was discussing the difference between constructivist teaching and active learning. I know I think I am using constructivist teaching sometimes and it's really active learning. I think the two blend into each other and can work well together but they are not the same.

I feel this session was useful. I will definitely use the "big picture" concept when breaking down skills in class. I will also use the subscription services for my class research projects instead of just using Google. Information from different sources is important so the students get more than one opinion or angle on the subject.
Thanks planning team! What a useful and motivational session!

2 Comments:

Blogger bkitch said...

And thanks for letting me float around and chat with your little group. I think that an idea for next year would be to mix up the 2 smaller groups at semester. I think the more ideas and methods you hear the better!

2:18 PM

 
Blogger Emily F said...

I have also tried to focus on the "big picture" in my classes this semester. I have found that the students are able to see the connection between the small (nit-picky) concepts better when have an understanding of the big picture and how it relates in their world.

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home